Consulting Rosarian Tip of the Month
Continue planting container roses all summer, the earlier the better before temperatures get too hot. For planting information, click on this link – Selecting and Planting Roses.
- Begin watering deeply watering roses at least once a week.
- Water deeply before applying fertilizer. Fertilize with a water soluble fertilizer or Mile-Hi Rose Feed every six weeks.
- As summer heat sets in at the end of the month, apply additional mulch to an average of 2 – 3 inches deep. This will conserve water and keep the soil cooler. Keep mulch an inch or two from the base of the cane.
- Cut spent blooms (aka dead heading) properly to promote continued flowering.
- Use Integrated Pest Management (IPM) to monitor for pests and diseases.
- Growing Roses in Colorado (GRIC) has a wealth of information on care of roses, find the book at area garden centers, gift stores or order from this website.
Consulting Rosarians (CRs) are available to assist you with your questions throughout the year. Contact them by typing in your question on our Contact Page. A list of CRs is on the DRS website – Denver Rose Society.
Please consider joining our society, we’d love to meet you. You may join on line or send in a paper copy. Paper Renewal for existing members or new members who prefer to mail in the form – Mail In Renewal OR New Membership Form. Memberships run one year from the joining date.
To meet other friendly rose devotees, please join us for our next monthly meeting on June 8, 2017. Visitors and guests are always welcome!